BBC (Better Business Cases™) from APMG International is a systematic and objective approach to all stages of the business case development process that sits alongside, and complements, HM Treasury’s Green Book guidance. The course and examination are based on The Five Case Model, the UK government’s best practice approach to planning spending proposals and enabling effective business decisions.
In New Zealand, this course has been tailored to account for the slight differences in terminology and language used. Please note that the NZ based modules covered in the training are not included in the International version of the exams provided.
Following this training Individuals will gain an improved understanding of the Better Business Case process, relevant to both those responsible for producing business cases and those who approve them; an understanding of an established and proven methodology which can be applied at both strategic (macro) and tactical (micro) levels; and core business competency for any manager or director.
Organisations adopting this approach can reduce unnecessary spend and optimize public value; reduce consultancy costs; have faster throughput and a clear, proportionate approval process; and improve quality of decision making.
- You will be taught using the latest adult learning techniques, using materials interpreted by a trainer that will provide both international and local examples.
- You will receive a course workbook set and a combined hard copy of the two official guides (foundation only) which is free to download in PDF format from the UK or Welsh government websites. We have converted these to a more user friendly combined hard copy to send out to you for your preparation.
- Sample exams and pre-course reading will ensure that you are ready for the first day’s training and the exam/s.
- Foundation exam – a 40 minute multiple choice closed book examination with 50 questions (25 marks, 50% to pass).
- Practitioner exam -a 2 and half hour restricted open book (Green Book Supplementary Guidance only) objective examination with four questions (20 marks each) (40 marks, 50% to pass).
BBC Foundation Level –
The purpose of the foundation certification is to confirm that you have sufficient knowledge and understanding of the guidance to be able to work effectively with, or as a member of a team to develop a business case using the Five Case Model.
Training runs for 2 full days and includes all required workbooks and the official manual, the exam fee, full catering (on public courses) and an e-certificate. Options available may include our exam guarantee, templates, supporting publications, and a hard copy certificate. Please note that there is preparatory work required prior to this course and evening homework during the course.
BBC Practitioner Level –
The purpose of the Practitioner qualification is to confirm whether you have achieved sufficient understanding of the theory and application of the Five Case Model to allow them to effectively develop and produce a business case. A successful Practitioner candidate should be able to start applying the model to a real project.
Training runs for 3 full days and includes all required workbooks, the exam fee, full catering (on public courses) and e-certificate. Please note that it is presumed that you have your official manual from your foundation training; you are welcome to purchase this if not. Options available may include our exam guarantee, templates, supporting publications, and a hard copy certificate. Please note that there is preparatory work required prior to this course and evening homework during the course.